Monday, July 1, 2013

THE LAST BUS RIDE......... PART 1

“Auto….”  I screamed as loudly as I can but still that damn auto didn't stop.

“Damn it, that stupid Murphy’s Law always holds, these annoying drivers would continue disturbing you when you don’t need them, and today when I finally need them, no one would stop”

Some more minutes passed and now my frustration was increasing with every second. It was getting late. I had to reach bus stand anyhow by 9 pm and it was already 8:30 pm. The road was almost empty, not a trace of any motion could be seen and I, who always consider myself, as the daring and risk taking guy, was somehow trying to remain calm and stable in this inner turmoil to satisfy my inner ego. I have heard various stories about this path to highway and particularly how dangerous it is in night and I always discarded them as nothing but source of amusement and imagination of certain naughty people.

I was now reproaching my decision of leaving for home town late. But the urge to go home as soon as I can and the temptation of spending more time there, having dinner with family and funny chit chats, had blinded my conscience for a while and I can’t do much now other then blaming myself for showing such a hurry  and impatience.

“Could have slept early and taking the morning bus would be the right and less risky decision”, I thought.

 Though I never preferred taking lift from any stranger, may be because of my ego of not taking favour or my nature of not disturbing others and a small trace was based on the story I have heard of people taking lift and later robbed , kidnapped or even subjected to syringe of AIDS by  the driver. But I was having second thoughts on the idea of taking a lift and I decided to venture for it today.

It was a cold night and I was sweating and shivering at the same time now. Travelling with bus was nothing new for me. My home town was only 2 hours by bus from this city, but I was never this late. I was not even sure that there will be buses after 9 pm.  Suddenly, a sharp noise broke my thought process; a man with a very old and noisy bike was coming.  He was covered fully in an old and dark blanket with some other woolens and not even a single part of his body was visible. I reluctantly asked for lift, he stopped. I asked him whether he would give me lift to the bus stand. He responded with a positive nod, without caring to utter any word.

The bike started again with its annoying screaming like voice and I was not sure which thing was causing me goose bumps; the strange rider, the silent and chilled wind, or the sudden strange voices that were breaking the stark silence of night at regular intervals.  The coincidence that this stranger agreed to carry me to bus station was also contributing to the unusual fear and insecurity in me, but I was helpless in the situation. Somehow, I was holding my breath and praying to reach station safely.

“And what made you to venture late at night for station, sir”? He asked in an expressionless yet strange tone with a rural accent, his voice a little uncomfortable and timid, which usually happens when villagers talk with any urban person and becomes a little self conscious of their manner.

“Holidays started and I wanted to be at home as quickly as I can” I replied, trying to sound confident and comfortable.

 “Avoid travelling at this time sir, roads are not safe, you must have heard stories about the roads here” He said with a very strange tone that almost scared me.

“Are you talking about the haunted experience and encounter with ghosts that people had on this highway?” I enquired as casually as I could.

“No sir, the dead always lives in peace and didn't harm anyone unless provoke to do so, it’s the evil in human which we must be afraid of, peoples are frequently robbed here and harmed by robbers and thieves, so the farther you stay the safer you would be” He replied.

“So why are you travelling that late, you not afraid of thieves and robbers, what makes you so safe” I commented in a sarcastic manner, little annoyed by his remarks and advise.
“I have my reasons for travelling that I can’t avoid and have to gone through all such risks” He replied in a tone of not pulling the topic further.

We didn’t talked much after that, just a little, the road as it appeared like a deserted city, not a single noise of even any creature. Darkness was on its peak that day, it was like someone sucked light intentionally and covered the whole sky with a dark blanket. But, darkness, which generally is portrayed as the primary source of horror was in fact the least reason for this tonight. It was something else, it was something unusual, which existed, but can’t be described in words. Though I have roamed late nights various time in streets, both with friends and alone, have studied till dawn without giving a single thought about the time or darkness, have sit on roofs late night gazing the stars and thinking about the vastness of the sky and the beauty of the silence that comes only with night and the tranquillity it gives to mind and the way it boosts positive thoughts and give peace to our running life, a sudden stillness which relaxes the very single muscle of the body, I never consider nights as scary but they were always the example of beauty and a serene stillness to me.

But tonight was different. It was not beautiful, it was not serene and it was certainly not at all relaxing. The silence mixing with the stark darkness and loneliness was turning into something else, a source of a feeling akin to being lost and depressed devoid of any hope of finding the path again. In addition to all this agony, the worst thing was what broke the silence, the small spurts of chilling wind and the hissing sound that they made in the ears was enough to scare me. I never ever experienced such a horror; I who used to make fun of horror movies and used to jeer the scary scenes and characters was getting uncomfortable just because of this combination of darkness and silence. 

As it happens with us generally, all the horror movies which hitherto were more like a comedy movies, suddenly started flashing into my minds, and my mind started making various pictures from the darkness and started hearing various sounds that I, somehow knew, was originating in my own mind. I was trying to think about something else, what would I do when I will reach home or the beautiful girl that I had just seen today in college and how I would approach her and befriend her. Even such beautiful fantasy failed to make any permanent place in my mind and I was back to the scary thoughts again and again.

Lost in thoughts, timid and squeezing up my body to as less as I can, I somehow continue to struggle in that treacherous voyage where nothing was different and scary yet I was scared. Suddenly, the sound of motorcycle was lost and for a moment everything halted as if power has been snapped.

“Here is the station sir and there is your bus” said the biker.

I, stupefied for a moment as we had reached much early than the usual time, took some time to respond but all I could say was “thank you”.

“Take care sir, I wish you reach home safely and in a single piece, there is no guarantee of it when you travel by a bus” and he started laughing. Though, there was nothing unusual in either his tone or his joke but somehow his joke sounded like a sarcasm or allusion to me for some bad omen and his laugh sounded hysteric and gave me goosebumps. I still couldn’t figure out how we reached station so early and the most frightening fact was that, I don’t remember his face and I don’t remember if I have seen his face or there was a face at all, all I remember is something covered in blanket and something dark inside but I can’t figure a shape out of it.

“Good bye” He said, his bike screamed again with full intensity, and he was lost in darkness again and at that time I realized that his bike didn’t have any headlight and we crossed all the roads in darkness.

“The road was empty, who needs light anyway, we men can drive with the help of our instinct” I thought, comforting myself with strange logics that I formed so that my mind won’t started thinking about anything paranormal.


I entered into the bus and realized I was entering into a dimension of next level of darkness. Nothing was visible, I can figure out some shadow figures sitting on seats silently and even I was not confirmed about it. Suddenly, a sudden flash of light perplexed me as it went straight into my eyes and I shouted angrily “remove it from my face, what nonsense”.


Stay tuned for the next part to see what happens in the bus, meanwhile feedbacks and suggestions are welcome !! 

No comments: