Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The opposite window..... !!

It wasn’t very long since I shifted in this new flat. It was very spacey and airy situated on the 13th floor of a large multi story building in a very posh and beautiful society. Though the rent was a bit expensive but it was totally worth it, living in a lavish flat has its own advantages, at least it provides peace of mind and a certain class to your life style. As it happens in every big city, finding a single accommodation is quite hectic, unreasonable and very costly so bachelors generally tend to live on a sharing basis.

People switch their accommodation very fast here so no one quite knows the history of their current residence, who lived here and for how much time, people don’t even know their neighbours and barely there is anyone to gossip about the surroundings. People prefer to live quietly and peacefully in their apartment completely ignoring the existence of any other person sharing the same floor. I never understand the weird look which my neighbour used to throw on me on every encounter; it was a mixed expression of puzzled look with a hint of horror.

I had become quite fond of the silence that always persisted in the flat, which was occasionally broken by the soothing wind that used to fill it entirely and completely change the surroundings for a while. There were occasional sounds coming from unknown origin but I never bothered about them. In the morning there were very loud thumping sound some times, which I always somehow ended up relating with the pigeons which use to make a lot of noise, those sounds indeed broke my peaceful sleep many times and I ended up cursing those stupid pigeons.





But the most noticeable thing was the window just next to my window. All buildings of every society have almost the same structure, so my window used to face the window of the next building. For the first few days it was always covered with curtains so I never knew what’s happening on the other side but I was quite surprised the day the curtains were lifted. It was a very funny incident, whenever I used to look outside I could sense some motion, I thought a guy is living there. One day, when I was changing my t shirt I thought someone is watching me, I was shocked but then I realize that I was watching my own reflection. When the curtains were lifted, all the time I was watching my own reflection and I laughed at my absence of mind, so who stayed at the other side remained a mystery.

I had a haircut and shaving today, it was good to switch to being civilized and leaving the rock star look although the beard and long hair gives a ‘I am working very hard and immersed in my work’ kind of feeling. I came back to my flat late in the evening when it was completely dark and I had no intention to turn on the light. I looked outside and find my reflection in the window again. Suddenly I was filled with complete shock and horror and transfixed to my place; the reflection was still having long hairs and beard. I looked at it and see the color of eyes slowly changing to dark red and the reflection giving me the most terrorizing smile I had ever seen. The darkness in the room was increasing, the sounds of the morning were coming back but this time they were much more louder and scarier, I turned and suddenly my sight switched to the mirror where I can see my reflection still with red eyes, long hairs and a beard with the same smile and the last thing I remember was his eyes sparkling with dark red color and a loud laughing sound that was coming from everywhere.



No comments: