Saturday, June 12, 2010

Getting in the Vicious Circle ......

Each year the class 10 results are declared . New hopes , new dreams and new challenges are inculcated in students. But many of us don't know what subject we should choose and we don't bother to do a carrier counseling . Most of us follow the same general trend - " usne ye liya hai to mein bhi wahi lunga " , " mere sabhi dost wo subject le rahe hai " , " gupta ji ke bete ne ye liya aur aaj wo acchi job par hai " . And some further aid are given by various coaching institutes mushrooming all over India in each and every city . After every result declaration days the newspapers are flooded with the ads of this coaching classes . The success stories of the candidates which have done something exceptional . The big articles of heads on " why to join their coaching " or " why their coaching is best " . And we also have the habit of watching only the shining and polished side . At that time we never bother to contemplate about our interest and learning potential . We never give any importance to our dreams or interest . We just wish to pursue what is best without analyzing that whether it will be best for us also or not . From 6th class onwards I was listening this kind of stanzas for me - " mayank sharma is brilliant wo jarur iit nikalega " . So without a second thought I took maths and 2 days after my last board exam I gave an entrance of a local coaching institute and as obvious I got selected ( every student got selected their I don't know why they do this kinds of formalities of entrance test ) ....

I still remember the first day in coaching . When our head was telling us how you have to kill yourself mentally for these 2 years so that you will be able to get into the IITs . He said " I gave you 4 days .. play how much cricket you want to play , read how much comics you want to read , enjoy how much you can enjoy " because after that all these things would be out of your life . We all were much enthusiastic and every student sitting their was dreaming himself as an Iitian . We all have fixed ranks for us and top 100 rank was common in these and we discarded the ranks below 1000 for us . Gradually the hectic schedule for the so called toughest examination of the world started . But their was a rumour that all the good faculties of our institution have left the building due to a clash between the head brothers and we would be getting new and inexperienced faculty . By that time I have already paid all the fees of rs. 30k for 2 years so I was trapped in the institution . Anyways we human always find some way of keeping us motivated and optimist . So all we thought that still we would be able to do it.But soon the problems started when I was suffering from a fever and has to quit the coaching . That time I realized the worst and most common mistake all of us commits . We wish to continue in the race but neither we are physically fit not mentally .

I left jogging, exercise and meditation to save quality time for study . But this greed let me pay much higher . When I became fit again I started going to the newly opened batch at morning . 20 min was my traveling time to coaching . I was attending morning classes of 9 to 12 and noon classes of 3 to 6 . I myself don't know how I managed to burn all my skin for going to coaching but at that time things were enthusiastic and charming always . All the students were full of energy . But soon I turn sick again and has to leave the coaching completely for 1 week . Due to which I never come in momentum . So I left my batch and joined the newly opened one . I daily planned various timetables . I tried to follow them sincerely but was not able to do it more than 2 or 3 days . I was getting crushed by the hectic coaching schedule . It was an era of day dreaming and these dreams always let you to stand again and again after every fall . When schools started the situation worsened . We have to reach school at 7:05 and get off from their at 12:45 . Then leave for coaching at 2:45 and come back home at 8:00 pm . So their was no time for self study . Time table changed daily . Plannings changed daily . But one thing that was common was dereliction in following them and inconsistency . But still some how I managed to get a good image in that 130+ student batch . At least I was having an identity among teachers and class .But I didn't pay any heed to school studies so that i got only 64% in terminals ( thx to English and computer i got 1st division otherwise pcm percentage was less than 60 ) . But it was also a general trend that time as all students have nearly the same results . I just told my father " Dad , I am preparing for competitive that's why performed poorly . But next time I will surely manage to score good in school exams too . " And he just nodded in consent . I was baffled that it was the same dad which rebuked me for getting less than 90% in 10th ( I got stuck at 88). The main thing of failing of a student I think is too much expectations and pressure from the parents . As they always wished their students should be on top but they never try to find the limits of their wards . Time was just flying with feathers . And I was getting behind with each and every second .

The head of our institution was an unsuccessful person both as a teacher and businessman (some says he taught some later topics very well but i don't knw about this as I have quit at that time ) . He used to take a 3 hour class in which the study time was only half hour . In remaining time , he used to brag how great he was , what business he had started and how fraud and futile are other coaching institutes . He keep threatening us that he will take a test from a certain book to separate students into classes ( obviously one which deserves iit preparation and one which doesn't ) . Due to this I completed that book 5 times but he never took that damn test and screwed all my time . Anyways I was enjoying studies that time to some extent . But soon I got much stressed and was finding some way to escape due to which I got net addicted ( net addiction is worse than alcohol addiction i think ) .

I still see the same trend is being followed . Each and every year same thing happens and it will be continued for sure . My juniors also become the victims of this though I have tried to save at least those which have contacted me for guidance . We don't wish to follow our heart . We wish to follow the trends giving maximum output whether it is suitable for us or not . These year also many iit aspirants will join coaching some deserving one , in fact lucky one i should say will shine and all others which have tried their best , worked hard and killed all their longings for 2 years will reach the state of oblivion . Talent would be crushed again and again in these country . We definitely need to change this cramming pattern otherwise the results would be catastrophic as the number of suicides are exponentially increasing in our country . I urge all the students to choose the field in which they can feel happy and fit . I remember when I told my dad my wish to take commerce but he said " commerce are taken by only those which do not get maths ". After 10th It is the time where you can enrich your personality which will be aiding you throughout your life . It is the time of gaining knowledge and excelling . But students just constrained themselves to books and study and their mental development process becomes static . Do not follow any general trend or be a part of this blind race . Eventually the world always notices the winners in spite how much deserving you were ,or how much efforts you have given . So follow your heart and you would definitely accelerate .
I hope it was not boring .....

6 comments:

Amit Khanna said...

Well done mayank - good start. Keep it up. Good luck.

Mayank Sharma said...

thx sure .. surely i will be raising some sensitive topics through my e diary

Anonymous said...

prolix, verbiage, but still managed to get at least 'B' grade. Since you writing it to improve your english I must tell you that in this text there are many mistakes which are very clear. For rest of the thing its all your perspective.

Mayank Sharma said...

i knw ... i m working on my grammar and english i have mentioned it in my first blog ... I hope some one will highlight those mistakes so that i can correct them

J said...

Good Job.
You have worked precisely on those things which were missing in the last post
:)
J

Mayank Sharma said...

thx sir :) though I stretched the material too much but I really wanted to have an e diary format first