Tuesday, July 13, 2010

YAGYOPAVIT SANSKAR : modernization of a tradition

YAGYOPAVIT SANSKAR OR JANEU SANSKAR is a tradition in Hindu community which marks the onset of student life of a boy. Although it is a ritual but it has many scientific benefits. Back in the old ages when there were no schools in each cities, GURUKULS were the only source of education. But these gurukuls were not available in all the cities. Hence those fellows which want to attain some further education had to migrate from their home town to a city where the gurukul existed .So before they were sent, some rituals were performed in which he vowed to follow some specific rules. Then during his student life he was sent daily to pick some foods from the villagers for the gurukul. When his education was completed , his MAMA (mom's brother) was sent to pick him and he returned to his own city to utilize his knowledge.
Since my childhood I have visited many a times in some ones YAGYOPAVIT and it always fascinated me especially the running of the boy and how the MAMA struggles to catch him. Besides there were many other actions performed during YAGYOPAVIT which seemed quite interesting. During the end of my 11th class I came to know that my mom and dad are secretly planning for this. Since I am miser, I was highly reluctant for it as an waste of 2 to 2.5 lakh was obvious. There was a chapter in my old hindi text book " khane aur khilane ka rashtriya shauk". In which the author explains how Indians are always seeking the occasions of either eating or to make others eat. This parties are also a way of bragging about our social status but in mom's words if we have eaten from others then it is our moral duty to give a party once. My rebellion was crushed by the arrows of emotions.
The shubha muhurtha was on 17th april. All of my family members had started huge shopping. Expensive clothes and other stuff. Many caterers were also contacting us but we didn't accepted any of theirs offer and recruited the best 'halwai' of the city. It was annoying to see that all were just busy doing shopping or arrangements and paying no attention to me ' the center of attraction'. Anyways that frustrating question by every relative or guest was rising my temper" tumhe chashma lag gaya " . I don't understand this why we ask such futile question. If I am wearing glasses then it is obvious . If some one is eating we ask " khana kha rahe ho "... if some one is sleeping we awake him and ask " so rahe the kya " ... if we met some one outside we ask " kahi bahar ja rahe ho kya ". At that time I was comfortable with my glasses as it was giving me a smart look. My face had adjusted it but my eyes were still suffering.
Now it was the time to polish the face so that it twinkles a lot on the stage. The man which bath with gaps of at least 5 days was now forced to bath daily, wash face 5 times and use some queer beuaty cream at the night. A week before gold facial was done on my face. That time I realized why all the girls are very fond of beauty parlors and facials. In short I can define now-a-days yagyopavit sanskar as a marriage in which their is no wife is coming. As all the other actions performed are similar.
On 13th April, 'Haldi Rasm' was performed and all the women of society covered body with turmeric. Then the barber of our caste with his other beauty equipments washed me and I was given a knife.For each day till the main function I had to wash my body before applying 'ubtan'. It is a believed that after having turmeric on your body you become more prone to ghosts and spirits. Next day, it was 'mehndi' time and I was feeling very feminine being surrounded by women and having turmeric and mehndi on me. Any ways my hands got a very dark and bright color so all were teasing me by saying you will got a very beautiful wife. Some minute rituals were performed on 15th.
On 16th, the day started with 'GANESHA POOJAN', as GANESHA is invited on every holy occasions first. GANESHA's statues are made from flour and other cereals and some mantras are enchanted. After it 'MATA POOJAN' is performed in which we invite our KULA DEVI to take care of the occasion.Early on the day 17th the 'pitrus' or the old members which are dead are invited to give their blessings and be a part of their family functions. Then 'MANDAP' is performed in which the 'JAMAIs' of the family are gifted a 'JANEU', later they made a 'MANDAP' in which I was given a 'JANEU'. Some mantras are enchanted after that I reached our gurukul , their the guru ji give me a secret guru mantra and some vows ...
1) wake up before the sun rise
2) sleep before 10
3) JANEU has to be adjusted during toilet and some other process
4) remain away from PAN,tobacco and liquor
GURU ji whispered in my ear " son, you are even not authorized to talk with girls " . I replied " guru ji, don't worry but can I chat with them on internet". The event of 'BHIKSHA' for the gurukil is followed in which the women of society give cereals and money for running the gurukul. After this event my cousins asked me that how much money have I stolen. I replied " salo, batana tha na churane ki bhi rakhi thi 1000rs to uda hi leta, ab to sab guruji le gaye". Then my favorite step, in which I had to run and my MAMA had to catch me. It was a very small street. And all the cousins or I should say traitors had formed a very good CHAKRYAVYEUHA so that I can't skip. Yet I tried my best but was caught after 10 seconds. One of my cousin played double game and helped me to get free. Then I entered into a tempo and lots of people were following me. After going round and round 3/4 times around that tempo I ran with my full caliber but was caught after few steps by the people coming from the front side. I disappointed others. Anyways My mama lifted me on his shoulder and took me back despite that I was very healthy and he was a single 'pasli' person. Then gifts and clothes were given by the members of our castes and acquaintances. After having a very tasty lunch it was time to rest.
I woke up at 5pm and we had to get ready to sit on the stage. It was the time to be groomed with lots of make up,accessories and my face was really shining. On the stage I was having a feeling of being special as all eyes were on me. The party started. Lots of masti, dhum dhadaka, naach gana. I have to touch the feet of every person coming on stage and it really had broken my back. It had begun to pain. It was a nice experience to see all the peoples eating,talking and enjoying from the stage. I was repenting that I forgot to call some of my friends and those I called didn't come as they thought I was joking. After having a lots of photograph I came down from stage at 12am. Now it was time to have dinner. Lots of items "kashmiri dosa,dahi bada, rajbhog, kaju katli, aam pana ,sri khand,variety of vegetables , tandoori roti" and many more. At 3am we left the garden and then I realized why the film starts rely on liquor after their downfall. The shine of stage is so addicting, that you don't want to go back again in dark.But I am happy I'll enjoy all this perks again in my marriage. Incredible India, Incredible culture.....

7 comments:

Mayank Sharma said...

thx ..

Anonymous said...

totally trash, nothing interesting, bad english, unnecessarily hyped, no convergence and above all no stuff for readers......pathetic.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mayank Sharma said...

thx anonymous for ur review ... i'll try to improve but if ur cricizing something come up with ur name also :)

Mayank Sharma said...

@ anonymous first u shld have some guts to show ur name ... andhere mein patthar phek kar bhagne se kya fayda
second I have already pointed this in my first blog that i m blogging for improvement of my english so u can help also help me by mailing me my mistakes
HYPE ? do u knw the meaning of hype ... I have just written all the process
Pathetic : ur choice it might seem uninteresting to u but I wanted to tell others about a ritual and i have done it

The Literary Blogger said...

Hey,
Thoroughly enjoyed ur blog!
N ur english is good,better than many who boast- take it from an English Teacher.

Mayank Sharma said...

Thank you Shyamini Singh Ji, thanks a lot for your kind words. Actually it's a four year old post and even I believe now that I had pathetic English those days, still blogging helped a lot in learning English ! :)